Monday, March 28, 2011

White Gourd Drink *Taisun*

Well, I have to be honest, when I was shopping... my eyes wander to weird items... 100's of which I will most likely NEVER eat or drink. This would probably qualify for that category. I am not sure if this really qualifies as "junk food" because it might actually be considered some sort of "health drink." Well this label again has very little in the way of English print... qualifying for at least a "eh, I'll try it". This drink comes by way of K&S in Nashville, exported / manufactured by Taisun Co. LTD.
Cool looking label, and can for that matter.
I've got to be honest... when I opened this it really didn't smell like much. After all, this drink has only 3, YES 3 total ingredients. White Gourd, Water, and Sugar, in that order. All I have to say is wow this drink isn't what I'd call horrible, or bad. But it's not necessarily something I'm likely to buy again, since I can't say I "enjoyed" drinking it. As far as how this drink smells, well, it smells kind of like peanuts, or maybe some sort of whole grains? I don't know why but I can't really identify what this smells much less tastes like. I imagined this drink to have a bit more sweet to it, and for some reason assumed it would be carbonated. However upon first sip, it didn't taste much like anything outside of well drawn water. After a short while, you'll get a pungent aftertaste of gourd, which I guess I could explain of tasting like a mix between an oat cereal like cheerios and peanuts. Again, you'll have to try it to understand (if you would like). 
It doesn't really get good marks in color as well...

Its not all negative however, I will say that this drink was surprisingly refreshing and didn't leave a weird taste in my mouth. I don't think I'll go out of my way to get this again, however, if I was very thirsty and didn't want to drink water, I could do this. I'm not sure if this drink is any healthier than any other fruit/vegetable juices, but it's got to be better than most soft drinks with a good deal more ingredients.

All things considered, this drink was kind of on the expensive side, around $1.49 for a 10 oz can. For the product it is, I'd say it's not a very good value, unless you crave white gourd ... Anyway, it's very boring drink with a cool looking can, but I can't be persuaded easily. All in all, I'd give this a 4 out of 10, most likely due to the bland taste, and lack of sugar and carbonation. However, it's refreshing, and I could see myself drinking this in a pinch, but not really intentionally. Sorry Taisun... Maybe some of your other products I'll like. 

Thanks, 
Stocky

No comments:

Post a Comment