Monday, March 14, 2011

What's Stocky Eating

** WELCOME TO MY FOOD BLOG  ** 


I've been putting this off for a while, but as of pretty recently I've been on a foreign food adventure. I would have to say I've been getting pretty bored with traditional foods that you find in your local grocery store. As someone who grew up in the northern part of the United States, my diet was traditional "meat and potatoes." Nothing too over the top but I did have my favorite dishes, personal favorites (I love you Mom & Dad), shepherds pie, mushroom soup pork chops, steak and potatoes, and BBQ/Fried Chicken with corn on the cob. I got in the habit of drinking milk with dinner, which I later found out as a faux-pas.

My eating habits were mainly dictated by my insatiable appetite after whatever sport I was doing at that time. I grew up playing everything from football, cross-country, to wrestling, baseball, track ... I was kept pretty busy. That said, I really enjoyed all my mom and dad did to teach me how to cook, and show me that it's OK to take risks and have a little fun making something new. I don't think there were too many times that I spent using measuring cups, unless we were making Christmas cookies.

Christmas cookies were a HUGE team effort for our family. I can remember helping my mom make frosting and then applying it to the freshly warm sugar cookies. We all have our favorites for cookies, but far and away the most popular were the peanut butter blossoms. BASICALLY they are sugar coated peanut butter cookies with a Hershey's kisses smushed in the middle. Wow, these just were the ESSENCE, of the holidays around our house. I learned a lot about planning, measuring and freezing cookies, all of which would prove as invaluable when I moved to the southern part of USA.

Now that I've been down here in Tennessee for about 5 years or so, my tastes have changed ... substantially. I find myself eating a whole lot more tex-mex food. As mentioned earlier I did get to the point of "food boredom", and now I'm reaching out to other parts of the world for inspiration.

Primarily I'll be focusing around foods procured from Far Eastern nations (Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam). I will include pictures and a personal opinion as well as an overall "grade" for the products. I will also let you know a little bit about the company that produced the food, as well as where I got the food from... and the price. Most of the time the blogs will come in "meal" format, where I will have multiple items displayed. However, I will try and include at least one "junk food" item a week, and you will see some duplicates... and some trends ... we all have our favorites.

Stay tuned, I should be able to post my first review this evening.

Thanks Again,
Stocky

No comments:

Post a Comment