Monday, March 14, 2011

First Review *Nong Shim Spicy Shrimp Bowl*

Before I get to the review, thank you for taking time out to look at this. Thanks!

On to the review... 

This was a pretty easy first choice. The first selection comes from Nong Shim food company out of Korea. They have a wide array of products, and most of which I will be reviewing will be coming from this company. I really think they have great quality at a reasonable price. Plus an added bonus that there is a good amount of legible English writing on the label... making it a ton easier to know what you're actually getting.

Bright and Easy to Read

On to the food itself, this noodle bowl is probably the most balanced ramen I've EVER had. Again, the key to this bowl is that the taste is very complimentary to itself. However for some people I COULD see this as being a BIT too spicy. I'd have to say that this is about a 6 out of 10 for spiciness, as it's satisfactorily spicy in a tasty way. I really like how the salt and shrimp is balanced with the spice of cayenne/chipotle flavor. However if you would like, you can choose how much of the actual packet you wish to put inside the bowl. See picture below, personally I like to add it all.

Moderate your amount of spice
Another main point that I would like to make is how DIFFERENT this is than the traditional grocery store ramen. The depth of flavor, amount of vegetables and seasonings is amazing compared to the normal maruchan brand. There is also a large variety of sizes the actual vegetables from onions to scallions it kind of makes you feel like you're having something a bit more authentic. If you're getting bored / on a budget this is a FANTASTIC alternative, the noodles as well you will notice taste/have a different texture. Mainly I think this is due to the ingredients ... you'll notice many different rice / oils you don't normally see in traditional foods. There is even a few little baby shrimp in the mix, it's so refreshing to actually see pieces of the actual "flavor" you're eating.
The warm and YUMMY finished product
The last thing I'll mention is the cost and the "value" of the product. I think I picked this up for around $1.19 or so. I'd say its an amazing value for the cost, especially when you consider the bulk price K&S sells it for $9.99 for 12 bowls. If you REALLY like this or have kids, I'd suggest going this route. Overall I say this deserves my first "BUY THIS NOW" rating. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being best... I give this a 9/10, giving this not a perfect score because of the spice, some people wont like. 

Thanks,
Stocky


3 comments:

  1. I meet to go check my grocery stores to see if they carry this.

    And by the way... first comment ever!


    - Clinton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations... Yea, if you've got an oriental store around ... go find this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally love these! I buy the lobster flavor, which isn't too different from the shrimp. Anyway, great review. The grocery store in my town sells these for 9.99 for 12 bowls, such a steal, in my opinion! We have been living off these for the past two weeks, I absolutely love them. Oh, also, I only use half a packet, and half the water. I have to be careful with my sodium intake. Great review!

    ReplyDelete