Friday, March 25, 2011

*Nong Shim Spicy Lobster Bowl Noodle*

As I said before I'll probably have a lot of Nong Shim products showcased. That holds true with my next review of this bowl noodle series. Again as I said in my previous Bowl Noodle review, these aren't your typical run of the mill ramen meals. How will this one fare?
Similar packaging, with a HUGE lobster on top of the bowl... I WISH!
Making this particular brand is as easy to be expected, boil some water, peel the lid 1/2 way back, add water, replace lid, and let sit for 3 minutes, stir and enjoy. I will say that the packet in these are larger than you'd normally see. However, this adds a noticeable amount of sodium to the bowl. This doesn't bother me too much because I rarely will drink the whole broth, I like to concentrate on the noodles and veggies. Which, like the other Nong Shim bowl noodles I've had, not disappointed me with the preserved veggies.
As I said above, the packet is HUGE!
The actual taste of this bowl is pretty good, rich in flavor and in spice. The first couple things I noticed as it being different than the spicy shrimp variety is that there is a noticeably lower fishy smell. While some people would like this, I have to say once I got to eating it I wasn't blown away by the 'lobster' taste. I will say that inherently lobster isn't a very strong taste by itself, and really doesn't have a lot of smell as well. However, it's a good relief for people who don't want an overwhelming smell of seafood. That said, the spiciness does not disappoint and certainly smells quite inviting. The aftertaste of this item can maybe be a bit overwhelming as I could tell that I had some pretty bad breath after eating. That I guess is to be expected when eating a spicy soup... oh well!
Mmmmm Noodles!
All factors considered, this is a SOLID food choice that could serve as a staple if you like cheap, tasty, and spicy soups. As far as a rating is concerned I will give this a solid 7.8 out of 10. I'd like to score this higher, but I'm not a huge lobster fan, and this tasted a lot like the Shrimp variety minus the shrimp. However it's redeeming qualities as an inexpensive option at $1.19/bowl; the same bulk pricing as the other varieties applies as well. I would suggest this to anyone who likes a nice spicy, well balanced soup that goes well with a rainy day.

Thanks,
Stocky

No comments:

Post a Comment