Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Jumex Mango Nectar Review

I think it's about time that I did a review on something from a different part of the world. This "nectar" is from Jumex, in Mexico but is distributed in the USA from San Antonio, TX. I really have to be honest and really just picked this up on a whim that I could possibly mix this with a splash of coconut rum. Again, definitely one of my more random moments, but will this one pay off?
Kind of a "busy" label
I didn't know what to expect from a "nectar" drink having never had one before. I have had my fair share of juices and the like, but nothing labeled specifically nectar. Anyway, I will say this was an afterthought, and I did buy this along with some coconut milk/water; which I may review later sometime. As far as how this product smells, my significant other said it smelled rotten etc. However if you've ever been around fresh mangoes ... they can sometimes smell a bit "off". However, I wasn't bothered by it, just giving a different opinion.
As Mentioned, this is mixed with Sweet Tea, nothing else... strangely good.
As you can probably see above, this isn't exactly what the nectar looks like. The color and texture of the nectar is very thick (for a standalone drink), and almost a fluorescent yellow. Overall, I only took a sip of this without a mix or even water, and it was too sweet, even for my tastes. However, as shown above, this can be mixed with almost anything, even a southern USA staple, sweet tea! I again, did try and mix a bit with some coconut flavored liquor, and it was pretty awesome.
Contains 30% Juice, Not Bad!
Wow, is all I could really say about this. It's extremely versatile, and I bet I could drink this down by itself, if I could handle the sweetness. However this drink comes into its own when mixed. If you're looking for an alternative for mixing some sort of alcohol, this certainly is it. However, don't limit it there, I could see making an awesome Mango reduction sauce, for maybe a mahi or a light pork dish. Overall I'd have to give this one an 8.5, mostly for its versatility, but lower marks because it's not a great standalone beverage.

Thanks,
Stocky

11 comments:

  1. Not long ago it did not contain Neotame a deadly neurotoxin and used as an artificial sweetener,
    WHY??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, as I mentioned below, I didn't get sick ... but thanks for the concern

      Delete
  2. I will no longer buy Jumex and I will return what I have to Wal-Mart. I started getting headaches again after several years of relief from stopping the use of artificial sweetener's like Aspartame but Neotame is even worse!!
    It's a chemical made by Monsanto and invented around 1962 by JD Searle but had no use because the FDA found it to be toxic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, as I mentioned to the other guys I didn't get sick ... BUT I will probably NOT go out of my way for this

      Delete
  3. Mixing it with alcohol is a very very bad idea!
    One of its chemical components is wood alcohol or methanol! it could kill you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no nonsense , did you actually read the can ? the ingredients are all natural from fruit concentrate. do you honestly think customs would allow the entrance into and subsequent distribution of potentially unsafe foreign beverages into the united states ? jumex has been a popular alternative to soda ,which is about the worst thing you can drink for over 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Soda / other 'not good for you' solutions, I mean they taste good... but either way, I enjoy water first.

      Delete
  5. Well sorry for the long delay on reply, but I guess we're all entitled to our opinions. Personally, I didn't get sick or feel any adverse side effects. Nonetheless, thanks for reading and commenting

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like and use often in my coladas and smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy it... based on the above negative/cautionary comments, I was starting to worry nobody liked it :(

      Again, thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  7. I love all the June's products, everything processed is bound to have negative attributes but for Saturday night mixed drinks? Nothing else compares, nothing

    ReplyDelete