Monday, April 11, 2011

I-MEI Cream Wafers (Strawberry) Review

Ah the illusive wafer treat, no doubt one of the easiest / least expensive treats on the market. These however are WAY different than what I'm used to. Anyway, these are another treat I picked up at K&S again, and I wasn't really expecting much, as they were pretty cheap. According to the label this is a Taiwanese company, a first for me I believe.
Traditional bright packaging
So opening this foil package was extraordinarily difficult, given they were packed in there to the gills. So when pulling these out be careful, because you might break a few. You'll see in the picture below, how much bigger these are than the traditional ones you see over here in the states. If I had to guess they are maybe 2-3x larger than regular brands. This was actually a good thing, since I don't like having to retrieve many of these due to their fragile state. I know it sounds petty, but I try to keep the packaging intact so I can save some for later.
HUUUGE!
As far as the taste, I'd have to say this is probably in a league of its own for cheap eats. I was really thinking the filling would have been a nondescript pink tartness. However I was pleasantly surprised on the first bite, it was so light, fluffy and somewhat natural tasting. The wafers were way more lofty, and the filling a lot more smooth. Speaking of the filling, it was closer to a whitish pink than the turbo pink color us Americans see from the majority of wafer makers. This was not only a refreshing change but probably the most flavorful and light snack I've had since I ate Shrimp Chips. That said, I would also say this does suffer from the same brittle and dry nature as other wafers on the market, that's just the nature of the snack. However, these are a bit more balanced and not as powder dry.
Label time!
Again, if you've not noticed, I'm a pretty big fan of these things. I'd again say that these are also in the "low risk" category for an international cuisine purchaser. I'm not a huge fan of wafer cookies or anything, but it's still refreshing to see it done properly in a larger format, with a somewhat normal taste. I think I bought these for a little over $1. These are an excellent snack option and may purchase these again, if I can get a hold of them, I give these a 9 out of 10. They receive high marks for taste, texture, value and overall quality. The only downside is the tricky packaging, their limited availability, and that's about it; again not too much bad I can say about these. These are a staple for people who like to snack on something a bit lighter, and without chocolate.

Thanks,
Stocky

No comments:

Post a Comment